Party wall agreements

What is a Party Wall Agreement?

A Party Wall is essentially either a wall, structure or boundary that in some way joins one property to its neighbouring property. A building owner proposing to start work subject to the Party Wall etc Act 1996 must give adjoining property owners notice of their intentions in the terms set down by the Act. Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed. Where they disagree, the Act provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

The Act also uses the expression ‘party structure’. This could be a wall or floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings in different ownership, such as in flats.

The Act covers:

  • → new building on or at the boundary of 2 properties
  • → work to an existing party wall or party structure
  • → excavation near to and below the foundation level of neighbouring buildings

This may include:

  • → building a new wall on or at the boundary of 2 properties
  • → cutting into a party wall
  • → making a party wall taller, shorter or deeper
  • → removing chimney breasts from a party wall
  • → knocking down and rebuilding a party wall
  • → digging below the foundation level of a neighbour’s property

Download the Government Handbook here on party wall agreements >>

Note that the Act operates independently from any other Planning Permission or Building Regulation approvals.

You must ensure that all the legal requirements relating to a Party Wall Agreement are met before we are able to start the project. With our Turnkey service we will communicate with the other party and the correct authorities on your behalf with the aim to resolving the issue - This service will be subject to a separate administration fee, and a solicitor’s fee where necessary.